Friday, April 22, 2011

Gardening 101

This Wednesday, I finally went to my container gardening class through Minneapolis Community Ed. I really enjoyed the class and it was interesting to learn about what you can grow in pots. We discussed pots, soil and watering recommendations.

The instructor taught us a lot about different soil types and the best ones to use for growing in a container. Apparently you need a good mix of soil, perlite, compost and peat moss. Interesting, I never knew this. ;)

We also discussed different types of plants; determinates and indeterminates. Determinate plants are the kind that you can use for pots simply because they will only grow to a certain size and all the fruits tend to ripen at the same time. On the other hand, indeterminates tend to grow to a much larger size and will bear fruit until killed by frost. I never even knew this existed! Awesome!

As you might be guessing by now, I was planning on growing vegetables during the summer in pots. I was able to speak to my landlord a couple of weeks ago about putting pots out. I was so surprised when she generously offered me a small plot in her garden to use for growing vegetables! Wow! I still plan on growing some things in pots, such as herbs, so that I can bring them in for the winter. However, I can now plan to grow some other produce that I wasn't planning for.
I've been spending some time planning my garden and this is what I have planned so far:

Tomatoes
Green peppers
Butternut squash
Carrots
Cilantro
Parsley

I plan on canning the tomatoes to use in the winter. For this reason, next week I'll be taking a canning class and I can't wait! ;)











In honor of my gardening I bought myself some new bamboo pots!



Today, I also got together with my friend, Carissa, and we went out to eat at a place for which I had a coupon for a free entree, Sauce Spirits and Soundbar. It was soooo good and such a treat! A bacon cheeseburger with carmelized onion! YUM!


Beautiful artwork in Sauce.
Sauce.
Sauce.
Carissa and I.
Yum Bacon cheeseburger and fries!
Tomorrow's plan? I have an early run in the morning for the YMCA and then I have dodgeball. Can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment