Sunday, April 24, 2011

Y Race?

This morning I woke up bright and early to complete the YMCA run! It was a 5K run, which even though I have run a marathon in the past, I was a little nervous about. I haven't been running a lot lately because I've been having some knee problems. However, I wanted to rise to this challenge, and yes, it was a challenge by a person!

What a doozy of a photo! Oh, early mornings! :)
I frequent the YMCA closest to my home on a regular basis. My choice to workout at the YMCA is for many reasons. Firstly, they offer me a personal pricing plan that I can afford. Secondly and most important, I really love all of the positive things that the YMCA does for the community. They offer free memberships for families who otherwise couldn't afford a membership and many great programs for youth. These are the types of businesses that I enjoy supporting. While I cannot afford to pay a ton of money at this point in time to the Y, I am happy that what I can afford to pay goes to support my community. 

While I love the YMCA, I must admit that I frequent the YMCA and I sometimes have a Lifetime Fitness shirt on my back. I ran the Turkey Trot that Lifetime Fitness organizes every year and it is the only long sleeve t-shirt that I own. Thus, when it's cold, I sport this shirt at my gym. On a few occasions, I have been caught wearing my Lifetime shirt at the YMCA by the Executive Director (ED). As expected, I receive some flack for wearing a Lifetime shirt at the Y. I challenged the ED and told him that the Y does not have a Turkey Trot or another run, therefore I would have to continue to wear my shirt. I challenged him in saying that if the Y is to create a run, I will be there, I would even wear a turkey suit if it's on Thanksgiving.

The infamous Lifetime shirt!
I covered up the symbol with my bib number. 
About 2 weeks ago I walked into the Y for a workout, upon entering the ED saw me and slapped a piece of paper on the table in front of me and said, "Hey, you are doing this! You need to sign up!" I glanced at the paper. Yes, it was a running race created by and for the Y. My challenge had been heard and in turn, I was challenged to fulfill my word. I always keep my word. So this morning, I was up early for a Saturday --7:30AM. I headed over to Lake Calhoun where the race was to take place. I live close enough to Lake Calhoun to walk.

Upon arrival to the lake, I realized I did not see or no where the registration table was! The race was to start at 8:30AM. I was still looking for the table around 8:10AM. Finally, someone was able to tell me that the table was at the OPPOSITE end of the lake!  The only way to get there and get there quick was to use my feet! I probably ran somewhere around 1.5 miles just to get to the registration table. Luckily enough, the race began later than I thought. It was further delayed as there was a health concern for another participant and an ambulance was called.

Registration table -- Oh! There it is!
Race start!
I hadn't eaten yet in the morning as I didn't really expect to be waiting so long to begin running so I didn't feel as energized as normal. I began the run and kept a good pace. I knew that I could keep my pace the whole time and finish the race. On the other hand, many runners initially sprinted ahead of me and I later passed them. I was tired during the race, but it reminded me how important it is and as a seasoned runner to A. listen to your body, B. know your pace and set it C. never give up, sometimes running is mind over matter.

Run, run, run!
View of the lake during the run! This is how the world looks to you during a jog! :)
I finished the run and collected a wonderful bag of goodies. I was to go and play dodgeball after, however not enough people signed up for dodgeball and the game was canceled. Therefore, I took advantage of some available time to take a nap and catch up on my sleep. 

Finished! Yeah, my one eye looks funny. It's okay! I'm just not my glamourous self in the morning! 
Oh, I should mention, I will perhaps consider bringing my Lifetime shirt to the Y so that the ED can have a ceremonial cutting of my shirt. The only reason that I may not is that the t-shirts for this race were not long-sleeved. However, as promised I will no longer wear this in the Y. :)

What a wonderful Saturday! A challenge on both ends, from 2 individuals, completed! 

Y Race? Race to live your life to the fullest, fulfill your goals and challenge others to be the best version of themselves, or their organization, that they can be!


No comments:

Post a Comment