Thursday, March 03, 2011

I am an addict...ALDI is my drug!

I had my very first visit to ALDI yesterday. It was AMAZING! I have to say that I was very impressed with the selection there. Despite the fact they only have 1,400 of the "fastest moving items", I sure didn't notice it.

Some purchases that astounded me:


Item
Another store

ALDI






Garlic powder 2.87 oz. $1.74 (on sale)
5.5oz $.99
String cheese 12 ct. $3.99
12 ct. $2.49
Milk 1 gal. $2.99
1 gal. $2.39
Tomato paste 6 oz. $.75
6 oz. $.39
Veggie chips 7 oz. $3.79
7.5 oz. $1.69
Strawberries 16 oz. $3.99 (on sale)
16 oz. $1.69
Pasta sauce 24 oz. $2.39 (on sale)
24 oz. $1.79
Macaroni & Chz 1 box $.79
1 box 0.29


The grand totals for these items? Another store: $20.43        ALDI: $11.72

That's a difference of $8.71 or approximately 43% savings! That is more than when I was couponing and this time, no coupons were involved! I'd say that's a pretty good deal!

I don't think I've seen Mac & Cheese that cheap since I was a kid! And the spices?! Don't even get me started on the spices! Do you know how much those teeny little jars of spices cost at other grocery stores?! ALDI is my new place!

I walked around and realized that some items, (of course), if I found a coupon for them, I could get them a bit cheaper. The only problem is I don't ALWAYS have a coupon at the same time I have the NEED. I only have so much cupboard space to store them till I do have the need. I will continue clipping some coupons for certain items that I do not desire to bend on; i.e. some personal care items and some meats. If I ultimately see a great coupon purchase, I will utilize it. However, I plan to continue doing the majority of my shopping at ALDI. I am now a convert. :)

With regards to food this week, I've been cleaning out my freezer. With the purchase of a butternut squash and some chicken I cooked, I uncovered some frozen pasta sauces in my freezer that I could stand to use. I made a delicious butternut squash soup last night and had it for lunch today and will tomorrow. I also froze a bunch. I made a new chicken stock tonight and will be making another soup with that tomorrow but will be freezing most of that soup for future meals. ;) I realized a new mission to deplete my freezer and some cupboards is an undertaking that I need to work on. Why buy more when I have a ton here already?! This is what I will be working on over the next week.

Have you ever shopped at ALDI or another discount supermarket like it? How did you like it? What are your impressions? Do you continue to shop there?

No comments:

Post a Comment