Friday, July 15, 2011

My. Reasons.

Much has been going on this week and I've had some really great news on the business end. I hope soon, I  can be making an announcement about my business and what it is I am doing exactly! I'm super excited because this has been a goal in progress for about 4-5 years and it is now becoming an ACTUAL reality! I can't believe it. It is extremely exciting and terrifying all at the same time!

As my business progresses, thoughts have been dancing around in my head as to my motivations in starting a business. I thought I would talk about these and tie this into a corporation and CEO that I really admire.

My motivations, firstly, surround having passion in what I do for a living. I don't want to be complacent about life. I want to keep my fire burnin'!

Secondly, I am not going to lie and say that you don't go into business to make money. What would be the point of starting a business then? However, I don't NEED gobs of money. If I had enough money to live comfortably and pay my bills and make a decent future for myself, that would be enough. I've never been one who has fancied having a big house, a bunch of things that I don't need and flashy cars. Really, they aren't that important to me. Having experiences matters to me more.

The third motivation is obvious, being your own boss. Yeah, it's nice to have some flexibility in your work schedule. Of course, you cater to your customers and there is that, but at least you are catering to them for something you are passionate about!

Last but not least, a huge factor for me in desiring to earn more money and doing what I am passsionate about is simply to contribute more. I have had ideas whirling in my head for years about what I would like to do with significant contributions and programs I could create to make change in the community (hello? am I sounding like Obama right now? We want change!).

The more that I see corporations and companies making a difference like this, the more that it drives me to try and be accomplished in my business so I can also have my turn at contributing. One company, that inspires me a lot and contributes directly to the organization that I work at, is Nash Finch.

Nash Finch employees hard at work!
The CEO of Nash Finch pretty much shuts down most of the company one day per year and all of the employees go to various organizations throughout the Twin Cities to spend a day volunteering. This year, I was fortunate enough to coordinate this for the group. We had the group pack bags for the Summer Kid Pack program that I am coordinating this summer. This program provides families with children with a package of food, one time per week, throughout summer until the children go back to school. It's an extra help for parents while their kids are home full time and snacking away. It's a wonderful program and so many people who utilize it express joy in the help it gives them during the summer months.

Nash Finch volunteers hard at work.
Nash Finch volunteers and I after a hard day's work! Thank you all for your help!
The CEO also seems to visit most of the sites where the employees are volunteering and shakes everyone's hand and thanks everyone. I've met him at a couple of events and he appears to be a most genuine and GENEROUS human being. This really inspires me to want to make more so that I can give more in the future.

What or who inspires you?

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I am inspired by people who leap into their future!!

    ReplyDelete