Thursday, July 21, 2011

What. To. Do. During. Amazonian. Heat.

This weekend and beginning of this week here has been exceptionally hot! So hot, that one day there was a nice little concert occurring (with beer and all of that fun stuff), only a matter of blocks from my house, and I didn't go! Nope, far too hot for me! I preferred to sit in front of my AC all day. Since I was sitting in front of the AC, I decided I shouldn't let this perfect day to stay inside get away from me! Time to be productive. 



For a little while now, my filing cabinet has really been irritating me. I will need to file more stuff in it when my business gets running, so it is only fitting that I have a proper place to file. A bolt piece on my filing cabinet broke and the door was sort of just hanging there. The bars then wouldn't stay up and all of my files would fall! I began a hunt on Craigslist. By far one of my favorite places to both buy and sell items. After a small search, I came across a very neat sounding cabinet that would fit in my apartment and suit my needs. It was only $8 too! I contacted the seller and they still had it. I arranged to pick it up, (my friend Eliseo went with me to ensure I didn't get sawed up into 100 billion pieces - thanks Eliseo!). I was pretty excited but wasn't sure if it would actually work for me. The one catch that I was concerned about was that  the cabinet has one drawer on top that opens forward and the filing cabinet is along the side. I needed the filing cabinet drawer to be on the right side. Where I planned on putting it in my apartment, there is a chair on the left and it wouldn't work out. My worst fear became a reality when I went to have a glance at it and the filing cabinet was on the left side. I was bummed because I thought this would really suit my needs. I began to speak with the person selling it and he mentioned that it's all able to be taken apart and I could just switch the sides and the tracks and it should work. I thought, "Hmmm, yeah. That's a good idea. Maybe my dad could do it." Given that it was only $8, I decided that it wasn't a huge risk anyways and purchased it and got it home. I was debating on whether I should ask my dad or just try and do it myself. I decided, that knowing me, I'm much too impatient to wait. I immediately began ripping it apart. This is the process that ensued:


As I said, I completely ripped it all apart. I needed to switch the sides and tracks. I wasn't so sure I was going to succeed. I had many moments of doubt.


These pictures were mainly for my father. I called him and told him what I had done. My one thing I HAD to note? "Dad, I actually used a measuring tape and pre-drilled holes!" Seriously, I am not the most patient person. 


Measuring tape!


Finished product!

I am not going to lie and say that it's perfect. It has some flaws. I say that's what makes it unique. The most important thing to me is that it's functional. For my lack of skill, I'd say I did a pretty good job! Even flipping drawer tracks! The thing I love, love, love about this filing cabinet is how the side drawer opens and the files face you. This means no digging in the back of a drawer and not being able to reach all of your files! 

What do you do on bad weather days to keep yourself productive?

No comments:

Post a Comment